A Day in the Life of Running Beads Incorporated

Owning my own beads store is a lot of fun and a great way to make a living—but it’s also a lot of hard work! Many people may think I just get to create jewelry each day, and there is some of that, there’s a lot more to running Beads Incorporated.

Curious what a day in the life of Christine White looks like? Here’s a rundown of my typical day:

7:00am: My day officially begins.

Each morning, I wake up at 7:00am, grab some iced coffee, water, and a Honey Crisp apple. I take my dog, Mary Katherine, on a short walk, then head back inside to browse emails. Once I’ve given everything a once-over, I’m ready to hit the shower.

While I dry my hair, I watch the Today show, reply to emails on my phone, and check out online banking. My husband and I have four different companies/personal entities, which have around 22 accounts, so it’s important to make sure everything is balanced and ready for the day.

I’m also thinking about my social media posts for the day, and might even put one up. It’s best to post at the beginning or the end of day, not as much the middle, but sometimes I will if it makes sense.  

I keep a “to do” list on the “notes” app on my phone. It’s not a fancy app, but it makes me feel good to delete items that have been completed. I update the list, adding and removing items, while continuing to blow dry and curl my hair, switching between the blow dryer and curling iron.

Now that I’ve taken care of my work life, it’s time to do some browsing and see what’s going on in the world.

Finally, my hair is done, and it’s time to apply makeup. No more scrolling as I’ll need both of my hands. (For a complete look at my makeup routine, check out this blog!)

8:50am: Time to head to Beads Incorporated.

After a morning of getting ready, I’m now on my way to Beads Incorporated. On my way, I make sure to eat some kind of protein, a cheese stick (or two) or a luna bar, and more caffeine.

A Beautiful Mess Photography

By 9:15-9:25 (depending on the traffic), I’ve arrived. If I’m on the earlier side, I’ll catch up on paperwork, pay a few bills, or try to get a head start on morning chores.

9:30am: Staff arrives and duties begin.

At 9:30, my staff for the day arrives, and we begin morning chores, such as cleaning up from a Girls Night Out the night before, restocking the fridge, and other general tidying up.

A Beautiful Mess Photography

10:00am: Beads Incorporated is open for business.

Weekday mornings are usually spent helping customers, while at the same time completing custom orders, repairs, placing orders, merchandising, admin work, and more.If you haven’t noticed, my life is full of multi-tasking… and a lot of asking myself, “What was I just doing??”

A Beautiful Mess Photography

And I have to take a moment to acknowledge Anne, Meggie, and the rest of my support staff, who help my accomplish daily tasks for the store!

12:00pm: Lunchtime means more customers.

By the afternoon, the traffic in the store picks up, but it’s also time to start giving my staff their lunch breaks. In fact, I usually wait to take my break until 2:30, so I can make sure my staff gets to eat. It also helps the day go by faster if I wait.

3:00pm: New products have arrived.

We get a new shipment of products almost every day. After lunch, I like to take the time to get those new items out of the boxes and onto the shelves. I love giving my customers something new to see every time they visit the store.

Jamie Price Photography

Also, now that school is done for most high schoolers, we have some more help arrive as the amount of customers continues to pick up as the day goes on. I’m so grateful for our afterschool helpers!

4:00pm: Pressing matters get their attention.

By 4:00, I make sure any paperwork or emails that need to be attended to get the attention they need. I also make sure Anne and Meggie get the time they need to order products and complete any admin work that’s come up during the day.

I finish custom orders, take photos, and continue to help our customers.

6:00pm: Beads Incorporated closes for the day.

At 6:00pm, I head home, listening to podcasts like “How I Built This” or SiriusXM’s “AltNation.” I usually get a call in to my husband, too.

By 7:00, I’m home and quickly complete any more work for Beads Incorporated or Christine White Style, such as posting on social media, adding content to my website, or tending to pressing emails. I try to get away from my phone as quickly as I can and enjoy my evening with David and Mary Katherine.

David, who is also a business owner, and I really like to leave our work at the door unless it’s really important or something positive we can’t wait to tell each other. We have dinner together, watch the news, and play with Mary Katherine.

9:30pm: To bed I go.

I usually head to bed around 9:30 or 10:00pm, but I don’t go to sleep right away. I like to watch things on YouTube for a little while, such as tutorials and jewelry vloggers. Right now I’m really into the Architectural Digest Channel. I love the Open Door Celeb house tours and the Hidden Detail/Every detail tours of Iconic Buildings in NYC. I’m also into the app Quora. Human nature fascinates me.

Finally, I can’t keep my eyes open, and it’s time to go to sleep. I’ll wake up the next morning and do it all again!

I love what I do for a living.

All in all, my job is really fun and there is such a positive vibe! I’m up and moving ALL day! I love that, while every day is different, I still get to use my creativity each day. It feeds my soul.

A Beautiful Mess Photography

I notice that if I go too many days without the smiles, the noise, and the busy hands, I really start to miss it. And, now that I have a personal brand, my job is much different. It’s kind of a job that never sleeps, so I’m learning to take that in stride. I’ve never had a desk job, so I don’t know what it’s like, but I don’t think it’s for me. I’m so grateful that my “job” is doing what I love every day.

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment


Start typing and press Enter to search